A motor vehicle accident can be a stressful experience for everyone involved. It can be easy to feel overwhelmed and confused after a collision, but it is important that you stay calm.
There are a number of critical post-crash steps you need to keep in mind—steps that can help get your insurance in order or even save a life. Remember to do the following:
- Step 1: Stop your vehicle. If you are involved in an accident and don’t stop, you may be subject to criminal prosecution.
- Step 2: Call the authorities if any of the following scenarios occur:
i. You or someone else is injured
ii. You suspect one of the other drivers may be guilty of a criminal offense (such as driving under
the influence of drugs or alcohol)
iii. There is significant damage to property or the vehicles
iv. Any of the vehicles involved in the crash are not drivable
v. You suspect you are the victim of a staged accident
- Step 3: Follow the instructions given to you by the 911 operator. Police or emergency personnel will arrive as soon as possible. Do not try to move anyone injured in the accident, as you may aggravate their injuries.
- Step 4: If it is safe to do so, get out of your car. If you have access to a digital camera or cellphone, take pictures of the scene.
- Step 5: When it is safe, move your vehicle to the side of the road and out of traffic. If your vehicle cannot be driven, turn on your hazard lights or use cones, warning triangles or flares, as appropriate.
- Step 6: Use this form to record as much information about the accident as possible.
- Step 7: Call Anastasi Insurance Agency, Inc. as soon as possible after the accident. Inform your insurer of what happened and ask for next steps.
Remember, as difficult as it may seem, it is important that you remain claim. Refrain from arguing with other drivers and passengers. What’s more, do not voluntarily assume liability or take responsibility, sign statements regarding fault or promise to pay for damage at the scene of the accident